Saturday, March 7, 2009

More Parties

We were invited to one of the girls schoolmates parties this weekend. I felt obligated to go since I was worried not many people would show up. Why? Because she has two mommies and our school is located in a very conservative area. I really like both of the moms and I wanted them to know that I like them. So I said yes, usually I say no to parties for school people, especially ones the girls do not know well.

Turns out today was beautiful. 73 degrees and sunny. Ahhhh... I really did not want to go but I made the girls come in from playing and take a shower this afternoon so we could go. We got her candyland as a present. I wrapped it in butcher paper that I use to tracing patterns and the girls decorated it with stickers and markers. I even got E to practice writing by having her do the to and from part. She didn't balk since it was a "fun" activity.

The party was at one of those indoor jump places and I was late since I couldn't find it at first. When we got there both girls ran off to play and I found a table of moms from the school. They had all been there early since one of the other children from school had also had her party there earlier in the day. These are highly educated women, two have engineering degrees and another is an OT. Yet, the conversation was terrible all about permissive parenting. I heard one mom say she let her 1st grader watch Hannah Montana since she would get it from other children anyway. I mean if you want to let her watch by all means do so but don't justify it. E and L have never watched nor have they asked.

Another said she makes a separate dinner for one of her children since he is a "picky" eater. The child doesn't have any sensory problems, allergies etc she told us. It was just that he only wants to eat hot dogs and grilled cheese.

By the time we got to the cake part I was ready to get out of there. I really feel like I should have something in common with these moms. We all are well educated women, have children the same age, live in the same area, yet I left feeling even more alienated. I feel even worse for judging them and frustrated at them all the same. I guess that is one thing I won't miss here.

2 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) I don't care for Hannah Montana either. She has a smart mouth!!! Aiden doesn't care though, he likes Scooby Doo lol! Oh and I refuse to fix two dinners! I am not a quick order chef nor is this Burger King and it's not YOUR way lol, it's what ever I put on the table haha!
    However, that being said, if they want to fix two meals, that's fine for them. But I won't do it. Sorry you had a rough day! I only go to bday parties of ppl we know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck!

    Yeah for the beautiful weather!!

    ReplyDelete