Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sick Day

I took a day off yesterday, I took a sick day. It was my first in almost three years. I usually hoard my days to use for the girls or for my maternity leaves. I think knowing I won't be able to use them next year also helped. A was very supportive of my choice. I have had a miserable cold/flu thing going on and I just needed to rest. I spent the time the girls were at school sleeping. Heaven.

Today was a PD day at work. We had a shortened schedule and early dismissal for students. We spent 3 hours talking about the pros and cons of homework. I tend to be anti-homework. At my previous job at an urban HS, I never gave homework. The kids life was so chaotic, most of them worked or took care of younger siblings after school. Homework was a luxury for time and a quiet place. At this job, I find students need more guided practice in class. I don't need to beat them over the head with the same type of problem over and over again. Most of these students also do multiple after school activities, which means they don't start homwork until 9pm or later.

I usually give in class work that if they don't finish becomes homework. About 75% of students finish the homework in class where I can help them if need be. The other 25% finish it at home in minimal time. I feel like it gives them the practice they need without overloading their evenings. For the PD, I was randomly placed in the pro-homework groups. It was interesting to think from the pro perspective. Not enough to change my mind but interesting.

No sewing accomplished the last two days and probably not tomorrow I am too sick. I did make a tasty dinner tonight, Mexican Stuffed Green Peppers. Yum!

1 comment: